Creating a positive school experience for every child

Through effective communication, we can create a school culture that ensures every child has a positive school experience!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cooking and Educational Leadership - No really!!

I love the analogy of cooking and school leadership.  Many of us in education have heard the Ben and Jerry story about returning the damaged fruit if it does not meet quality control standard and how we in education don't get to do that.  Sure it makes sense if we are approaching our students, or staff, from the "whoa is me" mindset.  But what if we were to to turn that into a view that says here is my meal, I am ready to cook and serve the dish of my life and, oh no, one of my ingredients is different than what I thought it was.  Now what?  Do I quit and give up on the meal, or do I adjust and use my culinary knowledge to find a solution that is not only palatable but is beautifully presented.

We choose our perception of the "fruit" we work with.  Whether as teachers or as educational leaders, our self generated image of the people around us shapes how we decide to tackle problems.

As a leader I choose how and where to allocate my time.  The dilemma is that there are so many areas to put that time into and not enough time in the day to get to all of those who are asking my time.  My perceptions of the people around me will at some point affect, and quite possibly dictate, where my time is spent.

"I hate all the paperwork and forms!"  "There are so many meetings!"  "Yard duty...." "This evaluation process takes so much time..." "Oh no, here comes..."   I have heard these from every school administrator I have ever met.  I have even said and/or thought these myself.  It comes with the territory.  But these statements, if repeated consistently will eventually lead us onto a path of negativity and excuses.  And in my experience, once a school leader begins on that path... well, it's kind of like overcooking the chicken a bit - you need to do a lot of work to help it taste right and regain its tenderness!  If I am in a bad mood or seeing things through negative lenses before I begin to cook, chances are my food will come out tasting like I feel.  Every time I cook I get excited about creating a meal for my family and friends.  My goal is to help school leaders and the people I work with approach our jobs in the same manner and with that same enthusiasm!

When thinking about school leadership and preparing a meal,  the book Strengths Based Leadership written by Tom Rath and Barry Conchie comes to mind.  Their bottom line is to make sure you know yourself and your strengths (think cuisine and technique - I love to grill and barbecue), and build on those.  Then, get to know the people involved in your work environment  (know your ingredients) and what their strengths are (think flavors).  How you as the leader (chef) put that together is the key to a great experience.  One more layer is knowing which tools to use given the situation.  If you know what you want to produce in the end, choose the tools that will allow you to accomplish that vision.

A meal is an experience and school should be the same.  In the end, when I am preparing a meal for people, I want them to have a good time, enjoy the experience and want to come back for more.  If we can get the people at our schools (students, teachers, and parents) feeling the same way think of all we could accomplish!! Bon appetit and good leading!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment